||18 years; Bourbon and Sherry Casks|
||100% Malted Barley|
|Distiller||Glenmorangie (Tain, Scotland)|
This whisky spends 15 years in ex-bourbon casks before about 30% of the liquid is finished for the final 3 years in Oloroso Sherry Barrels, while the remaining 70% remains in the bourbon barrels.
It is named “Extremely Rare”….a bit of a stretch.
Bottling Code: L69970 28/02/2018 18001517 10:53
Bottling Date: 2018
What a nice rich, oaky nose! Lots of orchard fruit, coconut, browned butter, nutmeg, blackberry tea, and a light ethereal nature to it. Very much softened from the 10 year old, but richer and more subtle. Rich dried tropical fruits, mixed toasted nuts, a light grassiness, and, as it sits, more dried fruit and floral notes – orange blossom water in particular.
The palate has a rich mouthfeel, with lots of dried fruit and spices coming to the forefront. Lots of orange still, and a flash of tropical fruit – but a hit of spice and maple come at the end. The finish dries out, and finishes with lots of citrus peel and a bit of white pepper. The barley emerges, after time, on the finish.
Highly Recommended. A very nice, light-medium bodied whisky. Quite complex, and evolves with time – nice stuff!
Value: Low. This is on the higher end of Scotch prices, and you can do better to get something of comparable complexity and excellence (like the 10 year old!).