Review: Oak Cross Blended Malt Scotch Whisky (Compass Box) / by Jason Hambrey

100% Malted Barley (see below)
Distiller Multiple (Scotland)

Here is another compass box whisky which is made according to the following scheme, roughly. The whisky is made from 60% Clynelish in a first fill American oak barrel, 20% Dailuaine in a first fill American oak barrel, and 20% Teaninich in a first fill American oak barrel. The whisky is then vatted together, with 40% going into a high vanilla toast hybrid barrel (barrel heads made from new toasted French oak, and bodies of the casks being made from American oak - hence "Oak Cross") and 60% into a first fill American oak barrel.

Review (2016)

  • Batch: N/A

  • Bottling Code: L 20 02 13 3 21:07 88

  • Bottling Date: 2013

A bit more restrained with quite the interesting character. Light and creamy, with vanilla, cantaloupe, unripe pear, cinnamon and clove playing their part in the story. Beautifully thick and syrupy on the mouth, with lots of complexity and the most delicate malt character to it which leads to quite a bit of beauty. Maple, cinnamon, caramel, and different degrees of malt – the cereal character of very grainy porridge and the light earthiness of grain.

Recommended (81% of whiskies I’ve reviewed to date get this recommendation or higher).

Value: Average.